POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Request: new simple pattern : Re: Request: new simple pattern Server Time
8 Aug 2024 10:22:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Request: new simple pattern
From: Chris Huff
Date: 7 Jan 2001 10:38:11
Message: <chrishuff-FFA674.10394607012001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a5880ae@news.povray.org>, "25ct" <25c### [at] lineonenet> wrote:

>      My idea would be for someone to produce a code that 'finds' the
> centre of these shapes in the render window, and then, by clicking
> your mouse on the shape, and holding down, just move the shape to at
> least where you want it to go, rather than taking 30 minutes to get
> it there in the first place.
>
>   My understanding of computers is very limited in this field,
>  so, is this feasible, at all, team?  Or am I missing something?

What you are looking for is a modeller. POV-Ray is a renderer.
In addition, making something like this cross-platform would be
practically impossible...every OS handles windows and user interaction a
bit differently. That is why the basic POV-Ray is a text-only console
program. You might be able to cook up an interface in Java, if you want
something that is equally bad on all platforms...
Even if you ignore that problem, how do you move an object in 3D space
with the mouse with one view window? How would the display be updated?
(raytracing while moving an object would, well, not give very good
performance) And what do you mean by the "center" of the object? Center
of mass, center of bounding box, etc...?

If you really want something like this, try one of the modellers and see
if it improves...I personally haven't found a modeller I can use. It is
far too platform specific to be a core POV feature, and more of a
modeller feature than a renderer feature.

--
Christopher James Huff

<><